Grandma would make cabbage and potato pierogi. Excellent with keilbasa. Considered a Polish Dumpling. We would have them every Christmas.
- 4 c. flour
- 2 eggs
- 6 Tbsp cottage cheese (dry large curd)
- 1 stick butter (softened)
- 1 c. milk
Mix all ingredients until rolled into ball. Knead dough for 5 minutes. or until dough is smooth and elastic. Pull off 1 inch pieces then flatten into circles about 1/8 inch thick, then fill. Boil in water for about 10-12 minutes. Drain. Fry in butter. Top with sour cream or lots of melted butter with sauteed onions.
Filling various types:
1. Mashed potatoes and cottage cheese with a little butter.
2. Mashed potatoes with American cheese and some grated onion.
3. Sauerkraut with sauteed onions and bacon.
4. Cabbage (soak in water over night in the fridge) finely diced.